It’s one of the most versatile and season-transending items you can purchase for your wardrobe, it’s also likely to be one of the most expensive. It is the leather jacket…. and today we’re covering everything you need to know to purchase, style and care for yours this winter!
I picked up my leather jacket about 3 years ago from Just Jeans. I hadn’t considered a neutral colour prior to purchase but have found it to be very versatile indeed! Here it is on it’s sleepy owner:
Not all leather is created equal…
There’s typically four types of leather used in jackets: beef, buffalo, lamb/sheep and pig. A general rule of thumb is the bigger the animal, the thicker and heavier the leather. Lamb is a popular choice in ladies jackets as it’s lighter and softer and tends to have a ‘buttery’ feel. Pigskin is thin and often shiner, it can look to have a cheaper finish. (An apology here to our vegan readers and a note to all, some of the man-made finishes are getting very good. While we don’t feature any in this post today, check out Guess and Jeans West as a starting point)
This seasons fashions tend more towards a cropped cut, asymmetrical zips feature heavily and the styling moves between a true biker jacket-esque look through to a very soft drapey finish.
Your jacket should be snug but not tight, especially around the shoulders, arms and armpits. Sleeker silhouettes will be more flattering to the figure, beware embellishments that may add undue bulk to your look. Your jacket should have about 1.5cms of space on all sides if it fits correctly.
Enough, enough, show me the jackets!
Okay, sheesh! Today’s finds are split into two categories; black and colour!
1. Trenery Leather Soft Biker Jacket, $599; 2. Ted Baker Meyaa Panelled Biker Jacket, £299; 3. Marcs Leather Zip Jacket, $599; 4. Cooper Street Leather Jacket, $299; 5. Helmut Lang Two-tone leather jacket, $530 USD; 6. Sportscraft Mariana Leather Jacket; $569.95; 7. Sportscraft Jilian Leather Biker; $599; 8. Saba Erika Biker Jacket, $679; 9. Scotch and Soda Colour Block Leather Biker Jacket, $659.95; 10. Seed Heritage Biker Leather Jacket, $599.95; 11. sass and bide Mourning Air leather jacket (comes in white too), $890; 12. Decjuba Cooper Leather Jacket, $349.95; 13. Esprit Leather Biker Jacket, $399; 14. Jeans West Piper Leather Jacket, $199; 15. Muubaa Rabi Knit Lined Leather Jacket, $399.10 (half price!)
Colour My World:
1. Gorman the sooner the better jacket, $469; 2. MCQ Alexander McQueen Leather Biker Jacket; $1,640; 3. River Island Dark Pink Leather Biker Jacket, $240; 4. Rag & Bone Blush Pink Leather Vespa Jacket, $1,595 USD; 5. Marc by Marc Jacobs Karlie Leather Jacket, $1,022; 6. Todd Lynn/Edition Designer Grey Leather Asymmetric Jacket, £240; 7. Just Jeans Devenport Double Zipper Leather Jacket, (comes in black too) $199; 8. J Brand Aiah Leather Jacket, $1,772.87; 9. Alannah Hill So Be It! Jacket, $499; 10. Alannah Hill Oops Oh My! Jacket, $499; 11. Decjuba Ransom Leather Jacket (comes in black too) $329.95; 12. Decjuba Cooper Leather Jacket (in black as well), $349.95; 13. Pretty in Pink Front Zip Lamb Skin Leather Jacket, $309.95; 14. Ted Baker Ballari Leather Jacket, £349.00; 15. Just Jeans Westwood Leather Waterfall Jacket, $199; 16. Sussan Quilted Leather Jacket, $399.95
The truth is, you can wear a leather jacket with pretty much anything, such is it’s status as a wardrobe staple. The challenge is rather utilising your jacket in as many ways as possible! Consider some of the looks below:
- Classic: team with a white tee and jeans for a classic look that will transfer from day to night by changing you shoes; flats in the day, heels for evening.
- Edgy: make a black leather jacket part of a strictly noir outfit for an edgy look. If you don’t want to lose your femininity, pair it with a LBD or black skirt!
- Ladylike: mix your non-black leather jacket (tan/cream neutrals work best) with a floral dress for a girly look. The jacket will add texture and shape to your outfit to create an all-occasions look.
- Textile: team your jacket with different top/dress textures like lace or silk to create a really dynamic outfit
- Evening: Modernise a cocktail look by pairing with a cropped leather piece
A leather jacket is often a solid investment and like a lady, deserves to be cared for appropriately! To be safe; ask your retailer for the best ways to care for your particular product. It will likely include the following:
- spray with a leather protector before use (it should be odourless and colourless)
- hang it on a large, shoulder shaped hanger (invest in one if you don’t have a spare)
- never put your jacket away while it’s damp, let it dry properly first at room temperature
- look into leather cleaning and conditioning products to extend the life of your jacket
- if in doubt, many dry cleaners also specialise in treating leather products – let the pro’s handle it!
Go forth and find yours, sublime seekers! May your leather be soft, your cut be flattering and your style be that little bit edgier than before!
This post was by request! What would you like to read about on Sublime Finds?